Friday, March 16, 2007

Kyger, Continued

Digging through past emails with Joanne Kyger, I came across this:
I only considered the writing in the Japan/India Journals [Strange Big Moon] to be a kind of working writing book. Otherwise I do consider the 'poetic journal' a form in itself.

Desecheo Notebook, Trip Out and Fall Back, Visit to Maya Land, Phenomenological, Wonderful Focus of You, The Dharma Committee, I consider examples of 'poetic journals.'
Notice how Kyger, like Doherty, goes out of her way to differentiate between "writer's notebooks" and "poetic journals." Notice also, how Kyger doesn't include her book Again in this list (Though I have included it in the poetic journal booklist below). Even though the poems in Again are dated, it is my understanding that she considers this to be strictly a work of poetry.

No comments: